Climbing Family Trees: The Links In The Family Chain by Eddie Lynn (Glitz) Davis

Climbing Family Trees

More great stories, poems, and helpful hints about genealogy and searching for your family's roots from the twin authors of "Climbing Family Trees: Whispers In The Leaves"

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The Links In The Family Chain by Eddie Lynn (Glitz) Davis

“The Links in the Family Chain”
Eddie Lynn (Glitz )
Dallas, Texas
I am tracing my family’s genealogy lines, as well as my husband’s and have discovered many, many times that their lives were intertwined. The most interesting thing I have found in this journey of mine occurred in the year 1711. On Sept 22, 1711, in the new colony of New Bern, North Carolina, tragedy struck when Indians all but wiped out the colony. Along with others that were taken captive by Indians were a couple of young boys. One of the young boys was George KORNEGAY and the other was George KOONCE. George Kornegay is my ancestor. To this day, everyone that has the spelling of KORNEGAY is descended from this little boy. Both young boys were rescued a year or two after their capture.

After being rescued, they were taken in by the Jacob Sheets family. When Jacob died, his wife married Jacob Muller/Miller. This story in itself is very interesting to me, but it gets even more interesting. I was following my husband’s DAVIS line and, through many twists and turns, it winds up in New Bern, North Carolina in the same time frame. I wondered if they knew each other and if they were killed in the raid also. Then I discovered the truth: my husband’s ancestor was Jacob Muller/Miller! His family were the ones who raised my ancestor George KORNEGAY and the other boy George KOONCE! From what I can glean from records, this family must have treated my ancestor very well and made him a part of their family, for he named some of his own children after them.This is not the only time that my husband’s family has helped mine through thecenturies. In 1836, another Indian raid took the life of my 4th great grandfather, Elder John Parker, along with other members of his family at Fort Parker in Limestone County, Texas. This is the raid that also took Cynthia Ann Parker from her family. Cynthia Ann Parker was to become the mother of Quanaha Parker, the last great Comanche chief.Some of the family survived because they were in the fields at the time of the raid. Some of the women escaped because they fled out the back of the fort to the river and laid low. One of the people who enabled them to make their way back to help was a fellow by the name of David Faulkenberry, kin to my husband way back. And it gets more interesting. In the 1960's I worked with a fellow named Jim Faulkenberry, a descendent of David! Our children later became good friends. I have always thought these incidents were the most interesting in my quest for my family, especially how my husband’s family line winds around mine. It makes me believe that we were truly meant to be a couple.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< ? | LDS Blogs | list >>