Climbing Family Trees: Betting On Grandpa by Betty Lovell

Climbing Family Trees

More great stories, poems, and helpful hints about genealogy and searching for your family's roots from the twin authors of "Climbing Family Trees: Whispers In The Leaves"

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Betting On Grandpa by Betty Lovell

“Betting on Grandpa”
Betty Lovell
My great grandfather was a gambler. One morning he got up and threw all his cards in the fire. His mom said “What’s the matter with you, Cracker?” That was his nickname. They lived in south Georgia and he had to walk through the swamps at night to go play cards. He said “I quit gambling. Last night when I played cards I won all the money from a widow woman's son. As I was walking back home through the swamps I saw the devil. Something ran around him in a circle and looked like a ring of fire.” He gave the money back and never played cards again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

<< ? | LDS Blogs | list >>